The purpose and objectives of the Alabama School Library Association are:
- to promote the effective use of instructional media.
- to keep educators adequately informed about media services and materials.
- to recruit personnel and to encourage and promote professional growth.
- to serve as an organization to coordinate research on evaluation in the use of instructional media.
- to plan and conduct long range programs for the development and improvement of instructional media in general, and to cooperate with other organizations and agencies whose interests and purpose are similar to this organization.
- to provide a framework for members to meet on state level as well as district level.